Perlu Network score measures the extent of a member’s network on Perlu based on their connections, Packs, and Collab activity.
View our support article for more information.
The definitive guide to the world's hidden wonders: www.atlasobscura.com
Pons Fabricius is a bridge located along the Tiber river in Rome. This makes it one of only two bridges in the city not connecting the two banks of the river, the other being Pons Cestius west of the small island. The bridge was constructed in 62 BC by Lucius Fabricius, a curator of roads in Rome, hence its namesake. Pons Fabricius was restored multiple times over the centuries but has always retained its appearance, making it the oldest bridge in Rome to still be in its original state.
Yarra Bend Asylum first opened in 1848 as the first permanent institution in Victoria designed for the treatment of the mentally ill. Prior to the construction of Yarra Bend, the mentally ill were often imprisoned in jails across the region. These institutions were often referred to during those times as asylums, emphasizing their function as a place to simply house patients as opposed to an acting hospital. The asylum was badly damaged by a fire in 1982 and was mostly demolished as a result.
Local leaders from the town of Galim-Tignère, dressed in traditional fighting attire, raise their weapons in solemn salutations to the highest local authority, the Lamido. On a warm day in February 2018, a nimble 63-year-old named Oumarou Alim leads the way through the dramatic stone caves of Mount Djim, a rocky peak in the Central African nation of Cameroon. Mount Djim is said to be the place where Alim’s ancestors—members of the Nizà’à people, one of more than 200 ethnic groups that live in Cameroon—staged a resistance against two waves of colonization. During the ascent of the Mount Dijm, local Nizà’à people and tourists from other towns in Cameroon visit the tombs of the three Nizà’à chiefs that resisted colonization: Mansourou (1842-1862), Ngu (1862-1878), and Njomna (1878-1915).
At the Gold Mining Camp Museum in Goldvein are two enormous relics from Virginia’s gold mining past. In October 1998, Monroe Park and the Gold Mining Camp Museum opened in Goldvein to showcase the state’s gold mining history. The museum replicates a mining camp from the 1930s and its interactive displays include a bunkhouse, mess hall, and assay office, such as those that would have been used by Depression-era Virginia miners. Two of the museum’s most unusual mining artifacts are the huge Hornet Balls salvaged from the Liberty Mine ruins located about a mile from the park.